studying + breaking down verses // SPECK method

by - August 02, 2017

My bible study's study for the past couple of weeks have been on looking at one verse, for a specific topic, each day. I don't often break down a single verse by itself, so at first I found it difficult; I struggled with going beyond surface level and getting deeper material out of it. I told one of my friends about this and she shared this method with me (s/o Anna Grace!!!) and I've found it so helpful!! It's called SPECK and I've outlined it below


S; sins to avoid
P; promises He's given
E; examples to follow (what character trait do you want to exhibit)
C; commands to obey
K; knowledge you learned about God's character

Sometime I skip C because it can become repetitive of S, but if in the verse it specifically says a command to obey then I make sure to make a note of it!! Here's an example of it with Ezekiel 36:25!

"I will sprinkle clean water on you and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws " 

This will look different to everyone, you can go as deep as you want, but my perspective on this verse with SPECK is
S; impurities and idols we put in front of our relationship with the Lord
P; His Spirit within us and a new heart obedient to His decrees 
E; desire holy things and prioritize these
C; keep His laws
K; His Spirit within me is all I need to rely on, nothing I can do or say on my own!!





The Lord has shown me so much through following this outline and the topics we've talked about. He's revealed so much to me and one of the bigger things is what I've been idolizing lately over Him (another blog post on that is coming soon!). But I've shared this with a couple of my friends and they've also really liked it, so I hope it helps you too!!

You May Also Like

0 comments